What are Spider Veins?
Also called Telangiectasias or angioectatias, Spider veins are small, dilated, abnormally inflated blood vessels close to the skin’s surface or mucous membrane. These veins appear in purple, blue or red colors and can develop anywhere on the body. However, they are usually seen on the face – nose, cheeks, and chin. They can also occur on the legs (upper thigh, below the knee joint, and the ankles) along with an underlying condition like varicose veins or venous reflux.
What Causes Spider Veins?
Many factors influence the appearance of spider veins including:
- Lifestyle/Occupation: People with jobs that require long standing or sitting hours are at an increased risk of spider or varicose veins.
- Pregnancy: Circulating hormones are often responsible for the appearance of spider veins during pregnancy.
- Weight gain: This often put undue pressure on the legs and may affect blood flow.
- Genetics: Genetic makeup can sometimes predispose people to spider veins.
- Poor diet: Poor diet choices, especially foods that cause constipation.
- Lack of exercise: Not enough exercising
How to get rid of Spider Veins
Spider veins are often painless and usually require no treatment. However, painful symptoms and cosmetic concerns may cause people to seek treatments that erase the unsightly appearance of spider veins. Essential oils have proven health benefits and can be valuable in treating spider veins. They help promote blood circulation, strengthen vein walls and prevent blood pooling. The following are the best essential oil treatment to use for spider veins.
The Best Essential Oils for Spider Veins Treatment
1. Cypress Oil
Cypress oil is a refreshing oil with many therapeutic benefits. It has soothing effects on the skin and helps improve blood circulation. Cypress oil strengthens the veins and keeps them healthy. It also improves lymphatic drainage, works as an antiseptic, and can help relieve edema and pain due to rheumatoid arthritis. I regard it as the best essential oil for spider veins.
You can apply Cypress oil for spider veins using a cold compress. Place a damp napkin in the fridge for about 10 minutes. Afterward, put five drops of cypress oil on the cloth and place on the affected area (your leg). Slowly massage up in the direction of your heart continuously for 10 minutes.
Alternatively, rub diluted cypress oil on the affected area twice daily.
2. Lemongrass Oil
Lemongrass oil works for spider veins by improving blood circulation; this prevents blood from pooling. It also keeps blood vessels dilated and promotes healthy veins.
3. Geranium Oil
Geranium oil is more than just another useful oil for the cosmetic industry. It can also help clear up spider veins and promote proper blood circulation. You will also get a smooth and flawless skin by using Geranium oil for spider veins. It is one of the best essential oils for spider veins on face.
4. Frankincense Oil
This oil supports healthy veins and promotes blood circulation.
5. Rosemary Oil
Rosemary oil is an excellent muscle relaxer and pain reliever. It will help promote steady blood veins and strengthen the vein walls.
6. Lemon Oil
Lemon Oil has astringent and anti-inflammatory properties that efficiently relieves pain and promotes lymphatic drainage. It also works as an essential oil for acne, eczema, psoriasis and edema.
7. Clary Sage
Clary Sage Oil helps reduce vein swellings and promote blood circulation. This will prevent blood pooling and strengthen the vein walls.
8. Helichrysum Oil
This oil is an anti-inflammatory that soothes inflamed and bulging veins and keeps the blood vessels dilated. Helichrysum oil also dissolves coagulated blood in and outside the veins. It is regarded as one of the best essential oils for varicose veins.
9. Chamomile Oil
Chamomile is an essential oil with many health benefits. It helps soothe inflamed veins, dilate blood vessels and aid proper blood circulation.
10. Yarrow Oil
Using Yarrow Oil for spider veins can stimulate the circulatory system. It will help blood pooling and strengthen the veins.
How to use essential oil as treatment for spider veins
- Hot or cold compress: You can add a few drops of oil on a napkin, dip in hot or cold water, wring out and place on spider veins.
- With Bathwater: Add a few drop of essential oils to your bath water to get significant relief.
- As massage oil: You can apply essential oils topically (after dilution with carrier oil) on the affected area.
Essential Oil Blends for Spider Veins
- 20 drops of cypress oil
- 15 drops of lavender oil
- 10 drops of lemongrass oil
- 1 ounce of carrier oil (jojoba or olive oil)
Mix the ingredients and store in a dark glass bottle. Apply this blend twice daily on the affected area.
Recipe 2 – blend to prevent spider veins
- 10 drops of geranium oil
- 10 drops of cypress oil
- 5 drops of peppermint oil
- 5 drops of lemon oil
- 2 tablespoons of carrier oil
This is a blend for those who want to prevent the appearance of spider veins. Mix the oils and store in a tightly covered bottle,
Recipe 3 – Massage Blend
- 15 drops of cypress oil
- 10 drops of geranium oil
- 5 drops of hyssop
- 2 tablespoons of carrier oil
- Apply this mix on spider veins thrice daily.
Herbal Remedies for spider veins
Aside from using essential oils, you can also try the following natural remedies for spider veins.
Butcher’s broom contains ruscogenins, an ingredient that can help calm inflamed veins. An excellent herb, butcher’s broom strengthens the veins and clears out the appearance of spider veins in no time.
Usage: Drink a cup of diluted butcher’s broom extract to get a quick cure.
Witch hazel is an excellent astringent herb that works efficiently for spider veins. It is rich in tannins and can prove efficient for strengthening the veins.
Usage: Drink a cup of tea prepared from the hazel herb to get relieve from the discomforts caused by spider veins.
St John’s Wort
St John’s Wort is another herb you could use as a home remedy for spider veins and for promoting mental health. You can use the herb internally or externally to cure spider veins and varicose veins.
Grape Seed Extract
Grape seed extract promotes healthy vein walls. I would recommend a daily intake of 200mg.
This natural blood thinner will help prevent coagulation of blood in the vein.
Taking 100mg of horse chestnut can help reduce vein swellings.
Studies have shown that using bilberry can promote proper blood circulation. Use 160mg of bilberry twice daily.
Recommended Diet Change/ Healthy Food for spider veins
Adding the following food to your diet can help clear the appearance of spider veins:
- Flax and Chia seeds
- High fiber foods – They aid digestion, preventing constipation that may cause unwanted pressure on the veins. Take up 30-40g daily.
- Fruits and green leafy vegetables—generally foods high in vitamin E
- Berries – the flavonoids contained in blueberries and raspberries can strengthen the vein walls.
- Cayenne pepper – The Capsaicin component of cayenne pepper makes it excellent for promoting blood circulation and prevents coagulation of blood.
- Foods high in antioxidants
Food to avoid
- Sugar – can cause weight gain
- Trans fats – inhibits circulation and causes inflammation.
- Caffeine – dehydrates the body and worsens spider veins
- Alcohol – it dehydrates the body and causes vasodilation of blood vessels.
- Refined and processed foods – they have low nutritional value and are often responsible for the buildup of toxins in the body.
- Spicy Foods
Using essential oils for spider veins require patience and consistency. Apply daily and let the essential oil take its healing course. In my years of using essential oils, they have never disappointed me. Discover the oil that works best for you and you are good to go. I hope you have found this article helpful. If you have further questions, please use the comment section.