Can Essential Oils Stop Nightmares?
?Nightmares are scary.?
You probably just rolled your eyes and thought, ?we all know that and that?s why it?s called nightmares.' They get us up in the middle of the night sweating and screaming for mama. The thing is, though it happens more often in children, adults are not exempted too. Some opine that they are just figments of our imagination, or a result of watching horror films late into the night and that may have caused the brain to save the mental images.
'What are the best essential oils for nightmares and do they really help against night terror?'
Nightmares are dreams that occur during Rapid Eye Movement (REM) resulting in distress, fear, and a feeling of intense horror. Night Terrors, on the other hand, happens to children. It makes them frenzied, agitated, and inconsolable. Usually, it discourages the sleeper from sleeping again, and may even get nervous and scared when nightfall. Nightmares have a way of disrupting moods and emotions. Whatever the reason, nightmares are not cool. No one likes it, nor do we like being awoken in the middle of the night by a scream.
Essential Oils have been discovered to help calm and soothe the nervous system. They do not just improve our health; they contribute to alleviating stress and induce sleep. Using Essential Oils is a proven method to treat nightmares naturally. I have put together a list of Essential Oils for Nightmares that works.
Essential Oils that Stop Nightmares Naturally
The use of the Lavender Essential Oil can aid a good night rest and can be applied before going to bed. From research, Lavender has been found to manage insomnia and calm the nerves. You could either use with a diffuser or rub it on your pillow. You will sleep soundly and wake up reinvigorated. Lavender is also great for babies who don't want to sleep.
Get The Best Price For Lavender Essenti??al Oil
The Marjoram oil has been associated alleviating panic and enhancing moods. It will help you to achieve a blissful sleep. It also helps against snoring.
Get the best price for Majoram Essential Oil?
Though the Roman Chamomile is usually used for digestive disorders or stomach upsets, it can also be used to aid conditions like nightmares or night terror and sleepwalking.
Get the best price for Roman Chamomile Essential Oil?
The Bergamot Essential oil has restorative properties that can help you get a good night rest with fear or panic. It also has a soothing citrus aroma.
The major feature of the Mandarin Oil is its appealing and mild aroma, and it works well for nightmares. You can either use it with a diffuser or pour on a cotton pad and place it by your bed or pillow. You also mix with a carrier oil like coconut or jojoba oil. It will help give you a sound night rest.
Gotten from trees that are up to four decades old, the Sandalwood is an Essential Oil for the nervous system. It is a powerful relaxant helps to soothe the nerves and restore peace in a person?s body.
Rose Essential Oil
You can decide to use this oil independently or blend with other Essential oils. Whichever you choose, the Rose essential oil can help you sleep soundly and peacefully. I suggest you apply the oil to the sole of your feet, as it is the most permeable part of the body.
The strong earthy aroma of the Vetiver is enough for anyone seeking to get relief from nightmares using essential oils; especially if your nightmare is borne from a physical factor. It not only helps with digestive disorders, but it is also efficient in lowering blood pressure and getting rid of spasms.
Essential Oil Recipes Good Against Nightmares
Nightmares and Essential Oils don?t mix. Only Essential oils mix with each other. Take a look at the following suggested blends that helps in managing Nightmares.
- 10 drops of Lavender
- 10 drops of Orange oil
- 5 drops of Marjoram
- 5 drops of Roman Chamomile
- 4 Oz water.
Mix these together to achieve a blend. This particular recipe can be sprayed into the room or on the pillow.
- 1 drop of Chamomile Essential Oil
- 1 drop of Geranium Essential Oil
- 4 drops of Lavender Essential Oil
- 4 drops of Orange Essential Oil
- 10 drops of Bergamot Essential Oil
Blend the above oils together and use with a diffuser, or by drop 2-3 drops on your palm and inhaling the aroma just before sleeping.
- 125ml of carrier oil (jojoba, coconut or any other you find convenient)
- 30 drops of Sandalwood Essential Oil
- 12 drops of Lavender Oil
- 2 drops of Cedarwood Oil
Mix the oils together, and store in a bottle away from the sun or intense light. Putting 3-4 drops in your bath water for bathing just before night time can help you achieve a sound sleep.
- 1 drop of vetiver oil.
- 1 drop of Ylang Ylang Oil.
- 4 drops of Clary Sage Oil.
- 16 drops of Orange Essential oils
- 20 drops of Lavender Oil
- 125ml of your preferred carrier oil.
Mix the oils listed above and pour into a dark bottle. I would suggest you store in a cool dry place to ensure it retains its potency.
Asides Oil, you may want to try....
1. Ensure you live on a healthy diet. Sometimes an unhealthy body (from nutrient deficiencies) can cause a nightmare routine.
2. Try to limit Movies and TV to daytime alone.
3. Try to eat earlier than 8 pm, and make it light (fruits are better). Ingestion resulting from excess food consumption can cause nightmares.
4. Sleep early if you can. Listening to soft music can help put your mind at ease.
5. Hyperactivity is sometimes the cause of nightmares in children. Try to get them to relax before going to bed.
6. If you have recently been through a somewhat traumatic experience, nightmares may be a regular thing. If possible, seek a psychologist?s help. Although Essential Oils can help you relax, relieving those memories can be destabilizing.
7. Avoid taking Alcohol and caffeine before going to bed.
In my years as a specialist, essential oils have never failed to do the trick. They are very potent for achieving a good night sleep and a relaxed bod????y. Feel free to try any of the suggested blends and find which works best for you. Let them give you a natural and lasting relief from nightmares. Let me know if they worked for you.