How To Treat Toenail Fungus With Essential Oils?
Often called onychomycosis, toenail fungus is one of the many skin conditions caused by fungi. Its symptoms include severe pain, inflammation, and swelling of the toes. Having the toenail fungus means you can’t wear stilettos to that prom nor shoe to the office. Aside yellowing, the nail thickens and crumbles. It is a very unpleasant condition and can disturb many plans. The fungi responsible are dermatophytes, and non-dermatophyte molds and yeasts (mainly Candida species). This growth is often a result of poor foot hygiene, exposure to moisture (contaminated swimming pools), abnormal skin pH levels, synthetic socks, and compromised the immune system.
It is a common occurrence in older people than in younger people, though people with weakened immune systems are very susceptible to the condition. The toenail fungus condition first shows as a white or yellow spot on the nail. Slowly, the nail thickens, become brittle or crumble, change color and get painful. As time goes, the nail can separate slowly from the nail bed, a condition called onycholysis and cause severe discomfort.
Normal medical treatments would employ antifungal medicines in treating toenail fungus, but they tend to leave various side effects and do not offer a lasting solution. Many people have complained that the toenail fungus returned after a few months.
The first step to treating your toenail fungus is by first changing your diet. For your treatment, you will need to cut off the sugar supplied to the yeast responsible. The reason many antifungal creams and medications will not work is that they focus more on the symptoms than the disease itself. The symptoms leave, but the fungi itself remains.
The use of essential oils for toenail fungus, however, is proven to work excellently without leaving any side effect. They work efficiently for many other health conditions. Take a look at the following oils you could try for your nail fungus essential oil treatment.
Tea Tree Oil
The tea tree oil is a natural antiseptic, have possesses antifungal properties that make it a good essential oil for treating toenail fungus. It is gotten from a plant native to Australia and effectively kills the fungi responsible for toenail fungus.
- Usage: The Tea Tree Oil can work independently or be blended with other essential oils. Before topical usage, dilute with a carrier oil to prevent skin irritations especially in sensitive skins. Clean the surrounding areas of the infection with alcohol then rub the Tea Tree oil evenly over the affected area until it gets absorbed. When ten minutes pass, brush the nail with a soft bristle brush. Repeat this process daily until you see positive changes. When a new nail grows, continue treatment for about 3 weeks to prevent future occurrences.
- Alternatively, you can add 4-5 of tea tree oil to a bowl of warm water and soak your feet in it for 15-20 minutes.
The Orange Oil is another essential oil that has proven effective in the treatment of toenail fungus. It has antifungal properties that help to get rid of the fungus and to restore the nail’s health.
- Usage: The Orange Oil is photosensitive. You should not go out under the sun after use. I would also suggest you dilute with a carrier oil like olive oil, especially if you have sensitive skin. Rub the oil evenly on your toenails and between toes. Allow to stay on for 1 hour. If in doubt, perform a skin patch test before applying the oil. Do this by dropping a small drop on your skin. If you feel any irritation, do not use the oil.
The Lavender Oil has excellent antimicrobial and antifungal properties that make it an outstanding remedy for toenail fungus. It will also help boost your body’s immune system against further attacks.
- Usage: Use the Lavender oil topically by massaging it uniformly over the toenails. Dilute the oil with a carrier oil to make it last longer on your skin. Allow it soak to in. Repeat this treatment over two or three weeks even after the fungus clears out to ensure it does not happen again.
Oregano Oil is another natural oil for toenail fungus because of its antifungal properties. Simply add 1 or 2 drops of the oil to 1 teaspoonful of carrier oil and rub it on the affected nails.
Other Non-essential oils (carrier oils) you could also try
The coconut oil is majorly a carrier oil that works independently or with other essential oils. It contains caprylic acid, a medium chain fatty acid that can penetrate through the hard cell walls of Candida or other fungi responsible for toenail fungus. Breaking through the fungus cell leads to the disintegration of the cell, hinders further growth, and destroys the infection.
Usage: Rub the coconut over the affected area and allow it to soak in. Repeat this 2-3 times daily. A better way to do this is adding a few drops to a bowl containing warm water and dipping your feet in it for at least fifteen minutes.
Extracted from the Olive tree, the oil can be used both topically and internally. It is a powerful antibacterial and antifungal oil that helps to kill the fungus naturally. When taken internally, it helps to lower cholesterol level. It also works as a detoxifier that will help your body flush out the harmful buildup of toxins.
Usage: In case you experience discomfort at first, try to reduce your dosage at first and increase it gradually when you feel better.
Apple Cider Vinegar
This is one of the best natural remedies for toenail fungus. It will help get rid of the fungus and also give you relief.
Usage: You can use topically or internally. One possible method of using the apple cider vinegar: Mix a part of vinegar with one part of Epsom salt and add to six parts of hot water. Allow the water to become warmer, enough to be touched. Dip your feet in the water for about thirty minutes. Repeat the process daily. It will help kill the fungus.
Although it is not antifungal, using the baking soda can help hinder the growth and spread of the fungus by making the environment unfavorable.
Usage: Add 4-5 tablespoons of baking soda into a bowl of water. Soak your feet in the water for about 15 minutes and then pat your feet dry. Afterward, you can pour a cup of apple cider vinegar into another bowl of water and soak your feet for another 15 minutes. Repeat this process daily.
Toe Nail Fungus Essential Oil Blends
- 1 teaspoonful of tea tree oil,
- ½ teaspoonful of orange oil
- ½ teaspoonful of carrier oil (grapeseed or olive oil).
Mix the ingredients and dab on the affected nails using a cotton ball.
Roundup: Treating Toenail Fungus With Essential Oils
In treating toenail fungus, you have to make sure you apply the oils consistently and religiously until the fungus clears out. Try as much as possible to keep your nails clean and dry. Through the course of treatment, wear more of open-toed shows and avoid synthetic or dirty socks completely. Even after the fungus clears, you can continue using essential oils for 2 or 3 weeks, and avoid any of the possible triggers. The fungus may take time to clear, and you should exercise patience, you will soon be able to wear your official shoes conveniently soon.